Thursday, July 3, 2014

Back to the Rainbows



Even the best laid plans have their faults.  It didn't hit me until I was pulling on the waders that I had left my newly tied xcaddis patterns on my tying desk.



Luckily, there was still a good enough collection of other caddis variations left in the fly box to at least fool a few trout.  Flows are down a little, but still high and tinted.  Trout feed fairly consistently through the morning before the sun really got on the water. 


When the trout stopped coming to the surface, a prince nymph worked well. 


Up to this point in the year, I have only caught brown trout in this small Colorado stream.  On this day, the first rainbows were caught which were a welcome surprise.



Midges were actively hatching all day and Caddis bounced along the surface of the water sporadically.  Once the sun got high in the sky mid-day and even the nymphing slowed, I headed home.

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July Weekend!!

I'll try to get out there with my flies and see how they do for the evening caddis hatch.


No comments:

Post a Comment