Thursday, August 4, 2016

Fly Tying - CDC and Elk - Prepping for a Dry Fly Day

Two weeks ago, stream flows were high and the cutthroat trout were feeding subsurface.  At the end of the day, one trout took an elk hair caddis off the surface in a shallow run.

With flows now lower and the desire to catch trout on dry flies, I figured I needed one last versatile dry fly pattern in the box.

So, I got myself some grey CDC feathers and started to crank out some CDC and Elk flies.  Simple and quick, I'm hoping these flies will help entice a few more of those colorful, Colorado cutthroat trout to the surface.

Only three materials to tie to the hook.  CDC, Elk Hair and thread.


I tied them up in both size 16... 


and 20 for some variety.


Sometimes it's just about catching fish, but sometimes it's about catching a certain fish or a fish in a certain way.  This time around, I am hoping to catch fish on dry flies and these late additions to the fly box should help with that.  I will let you know how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment